Monday, March 3, 2014

The Oscars-Challenge

So, who watched the Oscars yesterday night? I love the Oscars and I have a long tradition of staying up all night watching the awards show. I usually arrange an Oscars party with my friends and we help keep each other awake for the whole night. My mom used to participate until she gave up when realizing that she always falls asleep after the first hour. 
Starting with the red carpet and lasting all the way through the show can be quite a mission impossible, but I've done it for years ever since I was 13 years old (the show starts around 1 am in Finland and ends after 7 am). 

Unfortunately this year I had to skip it, being a working grown-up isn't always that much fun, huh. Instead Frenchie and I are going to watch the show on Friday night, and until then we have to watch all the nominated movies, at least the ones up for best picture. Last year I managed to check out all the best picture - nominees and I must say that 2013 was one of my favorite years Oscar-wise. This years movies have left me a bit disappointed, I still believe The Butler was worthy of its nomination. But I guess when you openly criticize the US government, that's the price you pay and you're left without a nomination. 
Anyways, we're doing our best to not hear or read who won what yesterday, although I couldn't escape hearing a few winners, someone also shouted them out loud at Frenchies office, but what would a challenge be if it was too easy?

Until the end of the week, I'l focus on the outfits, which is unsurprisingly one of my favorite parts. I found this beautifully made illustration of the dresses worn by all the best Actress Oscar winners since 1929, made by a London based digital agency
It's fascinating to compare how the styles have changed throughout the years, from the modest of-the-rack dresses to the high-fashion couture creations. One of my all-time favorites is last years Dior dress worn by Jennifer Lawrence, it's simple in all its glory and Jennifer wore it perfectly. And how could you ever forget the dress, it is after all the one she took a big tumble in when walking up to accept her Oscar. 
Even though she just fell and is laughing her butt off in the above picture, there's just something so princess-like about it, I can't help but think of a Cinderella-like princess who lost her shoe at the ball and is waiting for her Prince Charming to come swap her off her feet. And to me that's what the Oscars are about, a glamorous evening filled with beautiful gowns and charm, spiced up with a lot of coffee, laughter, yawns, mind-over-tiredness battles and good memories shared with your near and dear ones. 

xx, 
Siiriliinu 

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I love that pic of Jennifer Lawrence she looks like Cinderella. I have recently found you blog and I'm glad that I did. I'm your newest follower and really look forward to more posts from you. If you like, please check out my blog as well at www.ourlondonwardrobe.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of hers as well! I'm so happy you enjoy my blog, let's keep in touch!

      xx,
      Siiriliinu

      Delete
  2. Hola espero estés bien!! Te he nominado a un premio! Pásate por un bolg!!! Un beso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable! I love her! X Anna

    www.fashionanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is amazing! i’m impressed by your design & photos!
    and you outfits deserve separate attention!
    everything is magnificent! would you like to follow each other?

    will be happy to see you in my blog!
    www.dianacloudlet.com

    Diana Cloudlet

    ReplyDelete