Sunday, January 26, 2014

Paris Shopping - Montmartre

Yesterday when I was coming back home from work in a very crowded metro the passenger next to me smelled very bad. I'm not referring to the usual hobo-stint the Parisian metro is known for, but more like someone farting next to me. It was only when I hopped of the metro that I realized how wrong I had been about the source of the smell. The same gentleman I had been cursing in my head for most of the trip was actually carrying a grocery bag with smelly cheese and it was what caused the smell. I don't think this can happen anywhere else than here in France....


Moving on to the topic of today!
Since living in Paris I'd be crazy not to explore all the different shopping possibilities the City of Light has to offer. I'll be giving you tips and insider information on where to go shopping and where not to. Since I live in Montmartre I'll kick off my shopping tour of Paris in my own neighborhood. Enjoy! 

Oh and I just want to mention that none of the stores or brands that I mention in my blog has bribed me in any way, everything is bought with my own money and my opinions have not been affected in that sense.

Some years ago I bumped into a brand called Sabre and it was love at first sight. It is (coincident much?) a Parisian based company specialized in luxury cutlery. But it is not just any kind of cutlery, they have amazing designs, use of colors and a delightful playfulness that makes the forks and knifes small pieces of art. 


Anyways, I bought a few forks and knifes in pink and ivory, with a plan to start collecting them. You can mix basically any color with each other and they'll look gorgeous together. Unfortunately Sabre didn't succeed that well in Finland and after a while I couldn't find them anywhere. This of course left me frustrated, what is a girl to do with an uneven amount of forks and knifes, no dinner party hosting there. 

So you can only imagine my joy when I got to France and I had access to my favorite cutlery again. I bumped into a Sabre store in Montmarte and had to drop by for a visit. 
The basic cutlery cost around 13€ a piece and they have everything needed for a perfect and personal table setting (my next purchase will be a proper cheese knife, although I'll leave the fart smelling chees to the hard core French). 
It's an affordable luxury, since you can buy e.g. one fork at the time, that's what I do, and before you realize you have a full set. If you don't know the brand yet stop by one of their stores next time you have the chance.
Here's what Frenchie and I got for our new home:



I've recently discovered perfumer Fragonard and what can I say, they've got me hooked. They offer wonderful scents for the home, perfumes and all kinds of pretty and cute accessories. Fragonard is the kind of store I should stay far away from, since they make me want to buy everything. 
While you can get great home scents at e.g. Zara Home (here's my favorite) Fragonard scents feel more luxurious and are probably better quality. 
My dad's birthday is coming up next week and I found the perfect gift for him there, plus a small extra gift for my mom because I wanted to send her a little piece of Paris.
Head there the next time you are looking for a nice gift or for something nice to treat yourself with, it is also a great place to get souvenirs. They have several stores in Paris, this one is located right next to the Sacré-Coeur so should be easy to find. 



Right next to the Abbesses metro stop you will find a super cute bookstore, la Libraire des Abbesses. They have all kinds of things from funny Paris survival guides to classic French children's bedtime stories. I want to buy their books if for nothing else then the fact that many of the covers are beautiful and would look good as a part of the decor. A word of warning though, the lady who owns the store is a stereotypical Parisian rather rude salesperson, so don't be surprised if you don't get the best customer service.

The last store of this post is a children's store called Petit Pan. It's one of those stores that you pass on the street and just have to pop into. Although it is a kids store you can find all kinds of fun things there. We got some stuff for the bathroom, and since the sales are still on and they have pretty good deals. It is a very colorful store, and I especially love their lamps that come in animal shapes. If you are a DIY-person it is the place to go for for fun and colorful fabrics.

Tomorrow we're heading to the Cartier exposition so I'll be spending the afternoon surrounded by beautiful jewelry, stay tuned for my post about the expo!

xx, 
Siiriliinu 





2 comments:

  1. No matter what you're going through, it's always better if you have people to share it with.
    thank you for sharing this to us ,enjoy here
    love the pretty girl,love the scenery,love the photos all!!!
    Hope to be your friend soon Pls post more!
    Would you like to follow each other? Just let me know in my blog
    hope you can check my blog and share beauty:
    http://me-poppy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comments!! I'll do my best to blog as much as possible :)

      xx,
      Siiriliinu

      Delete